Friday, December 24, 2010

Exhaust Removal (Part 2)

"Special Tools Required"  Exhibit 1:  The factory O2 sensor is recessed into the heat shield top.  A $15 O2 removal socket (with a slot in the side for the sensor wire to hang clear) really helps.  I am told that an AN wrench will work too, but I always like an excuse to buy a new tool.  Besides the new exhaust system will have an O2 sensor I think, so it will come in handy down the road.
With the sensor removed, the heat shield comes right off the top.  (I put the sensor back in to the catalytic converter to keep it safe and clean.  I am planning to eBay off the unused Honda Fit parts when the project in completed).
With the converter removed, this is the "exhaust header" as it will be used in the race application.  I chose to put these bolts and nuts back into place to retain the metal gasket.  Shortly after the picture was taken I covered the hole with masking tape to keep the innards clean and dry.Posted by Picasa

No comments: