Monday, May 16, 2011

Been away for a while...

Well I got pretty busy on several fronts after the VIR race in April.  The race itself went really well, and I brought the car home 9th both days.  Afterward it has been hard to get the time to come back out here on a consistent basis...

But with the Summit Point National looming I am back in the garage again.

I will post some more photos soon, but here is what I have been working on...

Fuel System - I was running increasingly lean through the VIR weekend.  So I replaced the injectors and installed a new 10 Micro version of the XRP fuel filter.  The old injectors definitely showed signs of clogging and will be sent out to be cleaned and flowed professionally.

Shocks and Springs - For VIR I made do with slightly less than optimum 2.25" ID springs on my new shock's 2" perches.  So over the break I built up an inventory of 2" ID springs and installed the correct sets on the car.  Probably good for a 5# savings overall! (and they look much tricker).

Camera - After watching all of the in-car action from the VIR race, I decided I needed to do something.  I liked Russ McBride's video (lens smear and all) and the price was right so I bought a ContourHD unit and fabricated a mount to attach it the the side of the main roll hoop.

Other Maintenance - I changed the oil and filter (test day plus the VIR weekend) it still looked pretty good but I figured it was cheap insurance.  I also replaced a few of the teflon washers in the suspension that were getting pretty chewed up from the shock and suspension adjustment process.

Brake Pedal - Eric Langbein noticed that the brake pedal was pretty far over center - leading to the need for increased pressure.  I readjusted the pushrods and brake bias to aleviate this problem.  Hopefully this will make the brakes a little more user friendly.  (I must have missed this section in my Carol Smith books, but apparently it is bad practice to let the pedal come over the 12 'oclock position because it decreases the leverage the further it goes)...

Tomorrow night I will recheck the corner weights and time and weather permitting, load the truck and trailer up for Summit...

Sean

Photos to follow shortly...

No comments: