Tuesday, February 22, 2011

It's back!

Back from my President's Day memorial trek to Eric Langbein's shop. The chassis is back in my possession and I am ready to roll!

First order of business was to do a little touch up paint on the frame mods. Shown here are the newly painted tabs that Eric added for the new upper engine mount.

The engine and gearbox are temporarily seperated while I sort out the fastners for the slave cylinder assembly. Eric worked out a small spacer to center the HPD supplied throwout bearing allowing me to use the original Saab slave assembly. This should make it easier to get spare parts in the future. The only hold up at this point is that with the new longer input shaft, I am using the HPD supplied annular cylinder spacer meaning that I will need to install much longer bolts to install it. McMaster-Carr looms in my future...

It is this kind of thing that will eat up a bunch of time over the next few weeks. In addition to the new longer slave cylinder bolts, I will apparently need to order a straight AN4 bulkhead fitting for the fuel supply. After the paint had dried a bit I installed the fuel cell in the chassis.

Unfortunately, the 90 degree fitting supplied in the HPD kit is not a good fit for the Citation installation. As it is now it fouls the large chassis reinforcement plate behind the firewall. While I could probably reclock it and make it work, I think a straight fitting with a 90 degree elbow on top will probably work better.

The original fitting was a straight AN6, so I will probably order one of those too just to cover my bases. So add Pegasus to my morning order list...


Finally, I had to enlarge the opening in the top cover plate to allow access to the wiring fitting for the fuel pump. That at least seems to fit nicely. (sorry for the dark photo).

Tomorrow parts orders. Unless I am confident that I can change out the AN4 fitting with the engine in place (and I am not). I will probably have to wait until the parts come in the get much further on putting the engine in place. But there is plenty of other stuff to keep me busy in the mean time.

Sean
Posted by Picasa

No comments: