Friday, February 4, 2011

Rear Gearbox/Engine Covers

Tonight I worked on trimming and fitting the "filler" panels to cover the missing area where the FC spec diffuser sloped up at the rear of the car. FF rules dictate that the floor must remain flat to the back of the rear tires. For now I made these panels flat and level with the floor all the way to the back of the bodywork. The new rear floor will actually slope upward behind the rear wheels, so I will need to trim the bottom of these new panels to fit once the floor is installed.

Pictured here is the left side panel with the fill panel installed. I deliberately used the existing holes in the bodywork to join the panels. That way I can experiment with different approaches later without having to redesign and build the whole lower panel.

Right side panel trimmed and installed. Later this evening I decided to paint these panels (the primered part) black to match the floor/undertray. If I am really happy with them later on I will do a more thurough job of sanding and filling the blemishes and paint them to match the rest of the bodywork.

The painted panels are drying as I write this so tomorrow I will post the (semi) finished products.

Sean
Posted by Picasa

No comments: