Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Fairing Rework

The most junior member of the "Maisey Racing" team (Sammy) came out to the garage tonight to give her dad a hand. I put her artistic talents to work putting the vinyl labels on the dash for the switches. Sam decided that it was easier to do it from inside the cockpit...

Unfortunately it was much easier for her to get in than back out. The Citation is a tight cockpit and she is just too tall to pull her feet back under her and too short to lift herself out with her arms like I do. After a few attempts to extracate herself, I was joking that I would just get her a pillow and she could sleep in it. She was game...but eventually we wriggled her out, but only after some neat new graphics were in place on the dash. Now the switches are all clearly labeled and look pretty professional (thanks to Dad - or "grumpy" as Sammy calls him for the vinyl work).

The more I looked at the fairing we made Saturday the less I liked the comromise look. So out came the "Sean Maisey Technique" molding supplies... (packing tape) and I carefully taped out a shape I liked in place over the fuel system. Once it was all smoothed out and shaped, I cut out three layers of glass to cover the new shape.

And here is the product. a much more nicely countoured fairing done in place, so I KNOW it will clear all of the engine parts. A little finish work and I think I will be much happier with the result.

Next, closing the gap over the old FC carb inlet.

Later,
Sean
Posted by Picasa

No comments: