Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Progress!

Thinking it would save me time I purchased the AIM steering wheel mounting bracket for the new dash. Like all things with this project, it was not an exact fit. In the end, I am opting to make my own custom bracket. The AIM unit was about 1/4" too short and would not clear the steering wheel's upper spokes (the two lower bolt holes for the dash were almost exactly centered at the edge of the spokes). Time to get teh bandsaw back out again.

I made a quick stop at Lowes on the way home. My "Easter Egg" attempt to get the right socket last night had failed - it is not 26mm. It IS 24mm and now I have a couple of more big metric sockets in the collection. Using the correct socket made easy work of removing the oil pressure switch. Thanks to the guys over at the FF Honda Conversion discussion board for help with this. It was not at all clear from the HPD kit whether it was the Oil Pressure Switch or the unused sensor above it that should be replaced. The good news is that it will only work one way as the threads are different for the two sensors (don't ask me how I know).


New Oil Pressure sensor all installed. The rear end wiring and plumbing is nearly complete - just waiting on the Pegasus order tomorrow with the proper AN fittings and plugs for the oil lines and oil tank.
'


On to the wiring project at the front of the car. With lots of thought and several false starts, I had discovered a route through the chassis for the HPD wiring loom. A little minor trimming of a couple of openings in the aluminum anti-intrusion panels around the seat area, and all was golden.

To connect the fused circuits I bought a 6 circuit fuse block from Pegasus. I decided to mount it to the back of the dash to keep everything tidy and out of the way. In this pic. all of the switches are wired and in place. Note - I kept the original Citation concept of a dash mounted master kill switch. That can also be seen here on the right hand side of the picture. Now to connect all of the ends from the HPD loom...

Since I am using the HPD Optional sensor kit and the AIM Dash with the data taken from the CAN connection from the ECU, the white wires for the tach out and oil pressure switch indicator light will not be used. You can see them snipped off and bundled up on the right.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: