Saturday, March 19, 2011

Scoop Part 2

After some careful consideration I have decided to go in another direction with my air intake system. Earlier in the week I constructed a cold air box that fits in the space between the roll hoops. The box will be affixed to the back of the headrest on the front and will be held in place by the air filer at the rear. The portion of the airfilter that slides over the throttle body fits through the opening allowing the rubber base of the filter to sit flush with the back of the airbox.

The airbox is still in rough fiberglass and will need to be finished for final installation. I left the top of the box open for access to the filter for service. Tomorrow's agenda is to fabricate a top panel that incorporates a scoop over the top of the headrest. I plan to attach the top scoop plate to the box with rivet nuts or nutplates for easy access to the filter inside.

I contoured the airbox to match the shape and profile of the headrest. Only the scoop portion will extend into the airstream.




Right side view of the new airbox. I have trimmed the original faring to use as a sizing template. Tomorrow I will make a new fairing out of foam that will continue the lines of the back of the airbox to smoothly blend back into the original bodywork.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: