Saturday, January 22, 2011

Continuing the strip down

Next on the agenda was splitting the gearbox from the bellhousing. Lots of jet nuts to remove...

Removing the oil tank through tube in necessary to remove the shaft, and also exposes the gearbox front oil seal for replacement.

Old input shaft and oil seal are now removed. Now ready to install the new shaft. BUT... wait a minute - I think I forgot something...


My car came with the Ralt spec one sided Staffs box. This box included an integral oil pump to spray oil on the Ring and Pinion. After a few frantic calls to Lee at Williams Race Development and some posts to the FF comuninty on ApexSpeed, I learned that noone uses this pump in their FF applications. Good thing because the HPD supplied input shaft did not have the necessary splined section for the pump drive gear. So at Lee's recommendation the pump was removed altogether. I will put the mounting fastners back in with jetnuts and a little RTV to seal the holes. This was my firat major panic in the build. Early in the day I was thinking that I was screwed - My car was unique and noone would be able to supply a proper input shaft in time for the VIR race....So this news was a HUGE relief. Many thanks to Lee and the many posters on Apex for setting my mind at ease on this issue.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: