Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Minor Chassis Mod

Since this car was originally a FC/F2000 chassis, the rear sway bar carrier also functions as the lower mount for the rear wing. Since the FFit will not be featuring a rear wing, I wanted to remove the wing mounting 'ears'. They really just seemed to be extra weight and unnecessary protrusions into the airstream...

So most of my garage session this evening was spent removing the assembly and then assembling my new band saw. About an hour later this was the result.

The new band saw was great. It cut through the aluminum plate like a proverbial hot knife through butter. A little finish work with a file and this was the finished product. During reassembly I moved the rain light wiring inside of the plates to make things a little more sano.

Thanks again to my dad for another cool racing related Christmas present. The saw will definitely come in very handy in future work.

Tomorrow it should be time to move all of the removed parts into the trailer for storage, and maybe removal of the suspension. Hope the rest of the HPD packages start arriving soon, because I am starting to run a little low on tasks to that I can accomplish now...

Sean
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's looking great. For the mounting plate on our car, some of the bolts went thru some aliumiumn sleave to add some rigidity. The lower-most one acted at the "Pin" that the hook on our jack connected to.

Unknown said...

thanks, I did reuse some of the sleeve tubes to add strength. I did not attach them, but the original bracket had two "U" shaped tabs for jacking. I use a padded aluminum floor jack for raising the car, so the bracket should work fine as is... really will depend on how my floor pan works out.