Saturday, January 1, 2011

Front pan to frame mounting studs installed.

Engine block to pan mounting surfaces cleaned up and ready for RTV and installation of the new HPS dry sump pan.

It is here that I discovered why the HPS manual shows the flywheel removed for the engine setup process. Once the new HPD pan is installed there are two pan bolt locations that are hidden behind the flywheel. The stock Honda pan us open on the bottom, so the need to remove the flywheel only becomes evident at this point. In fact, the giveaway for me was when I looked at the pan torque specs, and noticed that it had specs for two more bolts than I had installed.

Oops. (I will remove the flywheel and clutch later in the process to install and torque these bolts. Since the new pan is a stressed member, I figure these are probably best not left out.


Oil scavenge pump installed. This was easier than I thought it might be. Just as the manual says, a little light tapping with a soft hammer and in it slid. The hardest part was figuring out how to torque the bolt for the pulley without having the new belt and corresponding sprocket installed on the Harmonic Balancer to hold it all still. In the end I held the pump sprocket with a soft jawed pair of plyers to tourque it up.


Installation of the new coolent housing, thermostat and water temp sensor went easily.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: