Monday, January 17, 2011

Removing the Front Suspension

Left front suspension removal underway. All in all it was a simple process. One surprise was the way the front tie rods attached. There is a threaded sleeve that attaches to the steering rack contained within that sleeve is a ball bearing and a spring. The sleeve treads on to compress the bearing between a cup on the tie rod and the spring inside the rack. A cotter pin keeps the sleeve from backing off when installed. Unique (to me at least). Wonder where I find replacements?

Front suspension now removed completely... Ready to hoist the more or less bare chassis up onto some stands...

Chassis up on stands and ready to cart off to Eric Langbein's shop now.

Bolted under the footwell was a significant amount of lead ballast. I removed it for now to make chassis transport easier (and who knows, maybe I won't need it when all is done). I Haven't weighed it yet, but at 12"x6" and 3/4" thick - it must weigh at least 30lbs...

No free rides...

Sean

P.S. Julian at HPD tells me that the rest of my parts were shipped last Thursday, so there should be more fun in store this week...
Posted by Picasa

No comments: