Saturday, January 1, 2011

One of the more physically challenging processes was removing the oil filter nipple from the stock pan and installing it into the new HPD pan. The kit came with two half height nuts that were thin enough to stack on the nipple. Then a liberal application of torque with a breaker bar got the process started. Problem was that the pan had long since been removed from the engine, and it was hard to hold it still enough to get started. My buddy Jeff Phillips stopped by just in time to be of assistance.

Nipple reinstalled on the new pan and oil filter spun into place.

Now this is beginning to look more like it! But there are a few more steps to cover before I am done.

The troublesome parts (this is all that is left over out of the large boxes I originally received.
1) Starter - (can't be installed until the engine is off of the stand now that I have moved the engine stand mounting points to the correct positions)
2) Input shaft - There was some confusion at HPD about my order, and they sent me the Van Diemen conversion unit by mistake. So transaxle update will have to wait a few days.
3) Bell Housing Adapter - Also reeived the Van Diemen unit by mistake.
4) Oil Scavenge Pump Pulley (and belt) - I ordered the "Honda Harmonic Balancer Holder" special tool late last week, but it hasn't shown up yet. As soon as I have the tool, I can take off the stock crankshaft bolt and install these.
5) Scavenge Pump Screen - Despite the warnings in the HPD manual, I still managed to cut the inner o-ring on the first of the two units. I picked up a replacement o-ring and installed this part earlier this evening.
6) "Extra" Oil Pan Bolts - As I mentioned earlier, it is at this point that I realized that the HPD manual shows the flywheel removed for a eason. These last two bolts go behind the flywheel. The stock pan is open at the bottom, so they are accessable for disassembly. So in a few minutes, I will remove the clutch and flywheel and install these two bolts.

Things to be installed, but not pictured:
a) Alternator - Hopefully shipping early this coming week (see my earlier comments on what is included in the "race kit". THe alternator is not included, so I did not get one in the original shipment.
b) Optional Sensors and Harness - I have also ordered the kit that adds oil temp, pressure and fuel pressure. So I will need to figure out the routing of that wiring too. I plan to replace the Stach 8100 series dash in the car with an AIM EVO unit with the CAN interface to the Honda ECU, so This will pretty much cover the sensors that I need for the motor.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: