Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Fuel System (Continued...)

Well last night was both productive and frustrating:
- I cut out the inside the tank plate for the fuel cell modifications.
- I cleaned up the edges with a file to make them all rounded and avoid gouging the inside of the cell bladder.
- I drilled and tapped the 8 holes and even polished the entire part to minimize any corrosion issues.
- I drilled the top plate for the 8 fasteners.
- I counter sunk the holes for the recessed stainless buttonheads that I plan to use
- I test fit everything together.
- I made a gasket for the top plate.
- I got about half way through the cut out of the top plate, and bang - lost another band saw blade...

So today at lunch I searched the Williamsburg metro area for a replacement blade.  No Luck...  We only have three places for such things, Lowes, Home Depot, and Ace hardware, and I had already exhausted the entire supply (1) that Lowes stocks last night. 

As it turns out neither Home Depot nor Ace keep much at all in the way of metal cutting blades.  So back at the office I did a little web searching, and found http://www.orderbandsawblades.com .  Four blades for about $40 with shipping.  Not bad, but I will have to wait a few days...

While inspired to spend money online, I went ahead and ordered a few parts from Pegasus :

Part Number Description                                                                
3216             Fuel Vent Check Valve, In-Line for 3/8 inch Hose 
4375-001     Master Switch Mounting Tab 
4430             Master Battery Cutoff Switch with Alternator Protection
MS21042-3  10-32 Jetnut, All Metal Locknuts (25)
MS21042-4  1/4-28 Jetnut, All Metal Locknuts (20 @ $0.47)
MS21042-5  5/16-24 Jetnut, All Metal Locknut (20 @ $0.71)
MS21042-6  3/8-24 Jetnut, All Metal Locknut (20 @ $0.90)

Lee Williams (of Williams Racing Developments fame) contacted me this afternoon.  He had run down a solution for my throwout bearing issues.  Apparently Tilton makes a replacement piston that will fit the Saab slave cylinder that allows either a 38 or 44mm bearing to be fit. 

Lee was kind enough to contact HPD and confirm that the 44mm bearing was the ticket.  So that should solve that mystery and the parts are on their way to Eric's shop as I write this.

More later...

Sean

No comments: