Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Hard Fought VICTORY!

I had to resort to two HUGE lever arms to break the Crankshaft bolt loose. On the first attempt I bent the hell out of the new "special tool" and ripped the 1/2" socket hole into a circle. (and I thought the bolt was finally giving in ). In the end I bolted the tool to a spare piece of cast iron square tube I had laying around. That held the wrench enough to finally break the bolt loose with a 3 foot 1/2" breaker bar and a floor jack handle slipped over it. 6+ feet of leverage! Must have been 4-500# of torque! But I finally won! and with a squeek it let loose!

Bolt broken loose finally!
And the new pulley installed per the Honda Fit Manual's procedure. NOTE: the tool is useless for holding things once the new pulley is in place. I had to resort to jamming the flywheel to apply the Honda spec torque, loose, torque, turn 90 degree procedure. But it worked!

My final tool solution. Note the twist in the tool! Guess I wont be taking it back now :) But all in all it was well worth the $36. Guess it might come in handy again in a few years if I ever need another crate motor (god forbid)...
Posted by Picasa

No comments: