Thursday, January 20, 2011

Finishing up the HPD Engine kit...

Now that the final kits are here there are a few more motor related bits to install. First on the list is the Exhaust heat shield. I decided to clover it in the gold heat reflective material first.

Next on the list was the alternator. This was pretty simple to install, but the lower mounting block had me a little confused at first. (It has a small off-set, and I installed it wrong the first time). As a rule of thunb, install and tighten the top bolt first. This makes the alternator ear's misalignment with the ear on the engine block very clear, and then it is easy to see which way the step in the backet should go. Installing the accessory belt was a breeze.

** Note to self I should probably order a spare for both belts just in case.

Right side view of installed exhaust "header" and covered heat shield.


Back of engine view. I think the exhause is pretty close. What I need is to bend it down 3-4" over the length of the tailpipe to meet up with the existing bracket above the rear differential so that it will fit under the bodywork the way the FC Pinto exhaust did. Since this is all stainless, I am hoping we can just splice in a pre-bent piece to work it out...
Posted by Picasa

No comments: